By way of Amor Mundi, I found a link to this really interesting site called, the Open Prothesthics Project. This is nifty to me on several levels.
- It ties into accessibility and assistive technology.
- It ties into open source engineering. GPL doesn’t have to be just about software.
- It can tie into stuff like fab labs. Imagine if doctors in poor countries had access to open sourced designs and fab labs to build limbs for mine victims.
- This is the kind of grass-roots, human empowerment that flies in the face of gloom and doom.
In a vaguely related sense I have some other accessibility links.
- Game Accessibility is a site that focuses on making software games accessible to people with disabilities. Remember when I wrote about that kid, blind from birth, who totally conquered Mortal Kombat, Soul Caliber?
- Then of course there are the obligatory accessible web design links I’m so found of listing here–How to embed Adobe Flash objects correctly and one way to do web page tabs correctly.