So, I discovered that the import file of my old posts has a lot of mangled markup and incorrect hard line feeds in it. This may be due to:
- Taking it straight from Linux but uploading it from Windows to a Linux server
- It had mangled markup in it already and WordPress did its best to assemble things cleanly.
Now my options are:
- Go through more than 500 pages and correct things by hand.
- Clean up the original file back in Linux with Regexxer or in Windows with Funduc’s Search and Replace.
- Delete the original entries and then re-import with a clean file.
The latter two sound much better to me. (Later: So I go through the file with regular expressions and WordPress still mangles it. Argh! I guess I have to tediously hand edit.)